Ten are dead from a mass killing in Toronto on Monday, but no one is blaming automobile manufacturers.
The Toronto mass killing reminds us that automobiles are highly dangerous. They are heavy and they move fast. Even a person who is not very strong or imposing is massively dangerous behind the wheel. While the Toronto mass killing did not involve using fire, people with access to vehicles also have access to a highly flammable liquid.
One might argue that our licensing system is designed to deal with the danger that vehicles represent, but we give those licenses to almost any teenager with a minimal test.
Yet, this kind of attack rarely happens. Society incorporates the widespread use of motor vehicles by all sorts of people. In fact, society depends upon people using their vehicles. Despite how dangerous they are, people use automobiles safely all the time.
Do progressives have an expanation of how that is possible?
Police in Toronto say they have arrested a male suspect after a white van mounted a curb in the city’s north end, killing nine people and injuring 16 others.
Deputy Police Chief Peter Yuen told reporters Monday afternoon that police received multiple calls around 1:30 p.m. about a vehicle “driving on Yonge Street, striking a number of pedestrians between Finch Avenue and Sheppard Avenue.”
Yuen said one suspect was in custody, the van had been located and all available resources had been mobilized to investigate the situation. Sources told CTV’s Mercedes Stephenson that the suspect is Alek Minassian.
“I want to assure the public, the rest of the city (is) adequately policed,” Yuen said.
Video from the scene showed bodies under tarps, broken glass and a white Ryder van with extensive damage to its front end.
Witness Ali Shaker, who was driving southbound at the time, says the van was travelling at high speed on the sidewalk. The van was also heading southbound.
“He started going down on the sidewalk and crumbling down people one by one,” Shaker told CTV News Channel on Monday afternoon.
Shaker said he saw the vehicle strike someone with a stroller.
“He just destroyed so many people’s lives,” he said. “Every single thing that got in his way.”
Mayor John Tory said that two hotlines would be set up, one for people who have any information that can help police and another for those “worried about loved ones.”
“I want to assure people that the city is in safe hands at the moment,” Tory said.
“These are not the kinds of things that we expect to happen in this city,” he added.
Carol Roberts, who witnessed the aftermath, said she saw “a lot of people lying lifeless on the ground.”
“It was just so many bodies,” she told CTV News Channel.
The views expressed in this opinion article are solely those of their author and are not necessarily either shared or endorsed by EagleRising.com