Hurricane Irma has quickly upgraded to a category 5 hurricane, and Florida is in a state of emergency. We are preparing here in Georgia as well considering we have been warned about massive storms and possibly even tornados.
Not to mention, Jose has evolved into a Tropical Storm and is on the tail on Irma.
“This hurricane is far too powerful, poses far too great a threat for us to delay actions any further,” Gimenez said at a news briefing.
Gimenez also urged people in the county to have at least three days worth of food, water and other basic supplies on hand.
“This is a powerful storm which poses a serious threat to our area,” Gimenez said. He added: “I would rather inconvenience our residents on this occasion than suffer any unnecessary loss of life if in fact we are hit by hurricane Irma. It is still too early to know if we will take a direct hit.”
Are you prepared for a hurricane, if you’re in the line of fire? Here are 15 ways to help make sure you are prepared, in addition to stocking up on water and non perishable food:
- Fill your gas tank
- Fill all necessary prescriptions
- Get a manual can opener
- Fill your tub with water in order to be able to flush, wash dishes, etc.
- Buy enough pet food, and include them your water supply
- Do you have babies? Stock up on diapers and formula, and even feminine hygiene products
- Get propane for your grill
- Ensure that you have cash in case that’s all the money you have access to for a while
- Charge all your devices….even if power lines are down, you can still listen to music or play games
- Put all you important papers (Birth certificates, deed, homeowners or rental insurance policy, passports, automobile paperwork) into a water tight container
- Wash all your laundry in case you can’t do laundry for a while
- Fill your freezer with bags of ice and/or water bottles.
- Buy extra ammo, always have a way to protect yourself
- Stock up on paper products (paper plates, plastic utensils, toilet paper, paper towels)
- Get oil lamps, lanterns, candles, flashlights, and matches
— National Hurricane Center (@NHC_Atlantic) September 5, 2017
Is there anything else that you would to this list? Let us know in the comments!
The views expressed in this opinion article are solely those of their author and are not necessarily either shared or endorsed by EagleRising.com