The big news last week was when President Trump signed an executive order temporarily banning immigration from several Middle Eastern countries, and stopping the immigration of refugees from Syria indefinitely.
Citizens from these countries will not be able to come to the United States for 90 days: Sudan, Syria, Yemen, Iran, Iraq, Libya and Somalia. Refugees, in general, will be barred from entering the U.S. for 120 days, but Syrian refugees specifically have been barred until further notice. People have already been detained or even turned away at airports.
During the temporary bans on immigration from these countries, the Trump administration will be working on “extreme vetting” measures to better screen for those who have more of a propensity to cause harm.
The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) was not happy with the President’s executive order and filed a class action lawsuit against him. And they won a small victory. According to Reuters:
The American Civil Liberties Union announced Saturday evening that a federal court in New York had issued an emergency stay on President Trump’s executive order banning immigration from seven predominantly Muslim countries. The court’s decision, which will affect people who have been detained in airports, came after the ACLU and other activist groups filed a class action lawsuit on behalf of two Iraqis who were held at John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York as a result of the order.
The class action lawsuit sought an immediate injunction barring the Trump administration from blocking immigrants based on the executive order. It argued that the order violates a 1965 law that banned discrimination in immigration based on national origin. According to a copy of the court decision from Judge Ann Donnelly, it will stop officials from removing individuals with approved refugee applications, holders of valid visas and people from the affected countries who have been authorized to enter — pending completion of a hearing on the matter in court. Donnelly also wrote that the lawsuit would have a “strong likelihood of success.”
“There is imminent danger that, absent the stay of removal, there will be substantial and irreparable injury to refugees, visa holders, and other individuals from nations subject to the January 27, 2017 executive order,” Donnelly said.
In response, ACLU national political director Faiz Shakir said, “I hope Trump enjoys losing. He’s going to lose so much we’re going to get sick and tired of his losing.”
The views expressed in this opinion article are solely those of their author and are not necessarily either shared or endorsed by EagleRising.com