While Hillary Clinton’s campaign blames Donald Trump’s win partially on the media for supposedly being “pro-Trump,” a recent survey found that a majority of people believed the opposite about the news media.
Here are some of the key findings from the poll, taken from Newsbusters:
- 7 in 10 (69%) voters do not believe the news media are honest and truthful.
- 8 in 10 (78%) of voters believe the news coverage of the presidential campaign was biased, with nearly a 3-to-1 majority believing the media were for Clinton (59%) vs. for Trump (21%).
- Even 1/3 (32%) of Clinton voters believe the media were “pro-Clinton.”
- 8% of Trump voters said they would have voted for Clinton if they had believed what the media were saying about Trump.
- 97% of voters said they did not let the media’s bias influence their vote.
So, not only do most people view the news media as dishonest and untrustworthy – like Hillary Clinton – they view the news media as almost totally ineffective in giving viewers the “correct” opinion. Ninety-seven percent said that they didn’t let the media sway their opinion on their vote preferences.
It’s readily apparent that these days, the media operate not to hold the government accountable, but to sway public opinion, and it’s not working anymore. The media viewed Donald Trump as a clown candidate – a side-show that was worth covering for ratings purposes – but they also helped to fabricate scandals that they thought would be fun to cover and would surely keep him down. I actually think they were trying to do Hillary a great service by not taking her real scandals seriously, and instead focusing on branding Trump as “racist,” “sexist,” “homophobic,” “xenophobic,” and “Islamophobic.” The media assumed that Hillary was a shoo-in. So, they covered Trump’s foot in his mouth, strictly for ad revenue and their own entertainment.
They did all that at their own detriment. It backfired. People are smarter than the media and Democrats think. They see right through the media’s agenda. WikiLeaks helped to reinforce viewers’ distrust of media by exposing real scandals in the Hillary campaign. When the media issued a collective shrug in response, viewers saw that as covering for Hillary.
The views expressed in this opinion article are solely those of their author and are not necessarily either shared or endorsed by EagleRising.com