In the wake of the Orlando murders, the Obama Administration and other progressive leaders have again rushed to the defense of Islam by linking the shootings to gun control and homophobia. Indeed, progressives constantly assure us Islam is one of the world’s great religions, and even that it is a religion of peace. ISIS and other radical fanatics, they tell us are only terrorists trying to pervert a noble religion. President Obama in a prime time speech went so far as to maintain “ISIL is not ‘Islamic.” Time and time again President Obama and other progressive leaders have praised Islam. At the UN the President proclaimed, “The future must not belong to those who slander the Prophet of Islam.” The truth is far different. The followers of ISIS are doing pretty much what Mohammed and his followers did and what other Muslims have done throughout history.
There are numerous historical records and books detailing Islam and its Prophet, Mohammed. True, some of Islamic sympathizers try to mitigate the record, but facts are tough to explain away. These are some facts.
- Islam is a warrior religion that encourages war against non-believers. Islamic leaders from Mohammed to the present day have waged wars of aggression against those who do not convert to what they believe is the true faith. Enemies of Islam have be murdered, raped, and enslaved.
- Mohammed was not a very good man by modern standards. He personally ordered mass executions, committed rape, had sex with a child bride, and enslaved defeated enemies.
- Islam subjugates women to a subservient role. Aside from the obvious allowance for a man to take four wives numerous restrictions penalize women under Islam. Under Islamic law women are definitely second-class citizens.
- Muslims are totally intolerant of other religions. Try passing out Bibles in Muslim countries, many of which still sentence apostates of Islam to death.
- Islam is highly intolerant of homosexuals. Granted, anti-homosexual rhetoric is also found in the Bible, but today’s Christian nations are far more tolerant toward homosexuals than majority of Muslim nations. In some Muslim nations and in ISIS controlled territory homosexuals are executed for being who they are.
- Finally, Islam as practiced under Sharia law is not in keeping with Western values. Leaving aside all the above problems with Islam and modern Western values, Sharia law actually forbids Muslims from pledging allegiance to any authority other than Quran, as it is considered the final and absolute guide on how Muslims and all of the rest of us should live.
Religion is a very personal choice because it is impossible for anyone to prove that their particular religion is the only right and true world view. Religion is a matter of faith. In every religion there are some who are more devout than others. Throughout history there have always been those who are willing to die for their religion or belief system. The real question should be how many are willing to kill others for it. It just so happens that in the modern world, most of those who are willing not just to die, but to kill to further their beliefs, happen to be followers of Islam.
It must be remembered that a world view doesn’t have to be a religious one. Die hard Nazis, for instance, ridiculed a belief in God but were willing to die for National Socialism. Worse, they were very willing to kill for it. Nazism has rightly been evaluated by history based on what it taught and what it did. So, too, should Islam be judged.
Are there good Muslims who are loyal to the United States and are willing to assimilate to live in line with Western and American values? Absolutely, but they are the more non-devout, or secular, Muslims. Fundamental Muslims, however, are not so much inclined to do so in spite of what our President and other progressive politicians promise us.
All belief systems are not equal. In evaluating Islam, the facts are clear. Fundamental Islam is not compatible to our values.
The views expressed in this opinion article are solely those of their author and are not necessarily either shared or endorsed by EagleRising.com