Kevin DeYoung at the Gospel Coalition has an excellent article up which asks Rainbow Flag waving “Christians” 40 questions about how they decided to support gay marriage. DeYoung is well known for his kind and loving approach to dealing with people in and out of the church, and this article is a perfect example of why he is effective in his ministry. Instead of attacking non-Christians for their support of the gay marriage decision (why would non-Christians be against it?), he instead asks so-called Christians how they came to their decision to support gay marriage.
Here is just a bit of what DeYoung has to say:
Trending: Hillary, Huma and the Muslim Brotherhood
If you consider yourself a Bible-believing Christian, a follower of Jesus whose chief aim is to glorify God and enjoy him forever, there are important questions I hope you will consider before picking up your flag and cheering on the sexual revolution. These questions aren’t meant to be snarky or merely rhetorical. They are sincere, if pointed, questions that I hope will cause my brothers and sisters with the new rainbow themed avatars to slow down and think about the flag you’re flying.
- How long have you believed that gay marriage is something to be celebrated?
- What Bible verses led you to change your mind?
- How would you make a positive case from Scripture that sexual activity between two persons of the same sex is a blessing to be celebrated?
- What verses would you use to show that a marriage between two persons of the same sex can adequately depict Christ and the church?
- Do you think Jesus would have been okay with homosexual behavior between consenting adults in a committed relationship?
- If so, why did he reassert the Genesis definition of marriage as being one man and one woman?
- When Jesus spoke against porneia what sins do you think he was forbidding?
- If some homosexual behavior is acceptable, how do you understand the sinful “exchange” Paul highlights in Romans 1?
Whether or not you support gay marriage, please be sure to read the entire piece, it’s well worth your time.
The views expressed in this opinion article are solely those of their author and are not necessarily either shared or endorsed by EagleRising.com