Last week, the Washington Times mentioned the fact that the Obama administration seriously considered using military force against Cliven Bundy and his supporters during their standoff back in April. This should come as no surprise after we reported that there was word that the Defense Department had approved a drone strike.
Apparently, the Obama administration considered a strike on protesters, exercising their First Amendment rights, which ironically, are supposed to be protected by the same administration under the US Constitution.
A U.S. official said the Obama administration considered but rejected deploying military force under the directive during the recent standoff with Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy and his armed supporters.
Mr. Bundy is engaged in a legal battle with the federal Bureau of Land Management over unpaid grazing fees. Along with a group of protesters, Mr. Bundy in April confronted federal and local authorities in a standoff that ended when the authorities backed down.
The Times also said the consideration was based on Directive No. 3025.18, “Defense Support of Civil Authorities,” which was issued on December 29, 2010 and signed by then-Deputy Defense Secretary William J. Lynn.
The revelation came up during as the Times discussed the fact that the directive “contains noncontroversial provisions on support to civilian fire and emergency services, special events and the domestic use of the Army Corps of Engineers.”
However, as Mac Slavo pointed out on Friday, the directive is being twisted by this administration to target US citizens against “domestic unrest.”
The directive reads in part, “Federal military forces shall not be used to quell civil disturbances, unless specifically authorized by the president in accordance with applicable law or permitted under emergency authority.”
The views expressed in this opinion article are solely those of their author and are not necessarily either shared or endorsed by EagleRising.com